Making Lotion - Goat Milk Lotion, Athens, GA

After a [month-long] break from blogging (with good cause) I am back!  More on my absence and the amazing happenings during that time later {if I get around to it}.

Now, to the main topic of this post: making handmade lotion.

Making lotion used to scare me.  Why?  Because all your work utensils and work areas must be absolutely clean (think sterilized clean).  Otherwise you can end up with contaminated lotion which will grow mold and other bacteria.  I was always afraid that I would miss something and end up with contaminated lotion.  The second reason I was hesitant to make lotion was that I thought it would take a lot of experimenting to find a lotion I liked.  (And a lot of experimenting = a lot of ingredients, which = lots of expense).  I am very particular when it comes to lotion.  It must dissolve into my skin without leaving it sticky or too greasy.  I also prefer a little thicker lotion (more cream than liquid).  Finally, I had no idea how much goat's milk to put in my lotion.  I needed enough to add beneficial qualities, but not enough to make it go rancid prematurely.

Last year I finally decided to do it.  No matter how much trouble or fuss it was, I was going to make a lotion that worked.  After several google searches, I finally found out how much goat milk to use in a lotion recipe.  I also found out about different preservatives, and I found a nice, simple lotion recipe with a tutorial (check out this website if interested in a recipe for making your own lotion from scratch:  http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/gift-series-lotion-tutorial-from-scratch-2/).

For my first batch of lotion I followed the recipe exactly (with the exception of replacing the water with green tea).  When that turned out okay, I did my next experiment: substituting a small amount of milk for the water.  Based on what I found through my research, I replaced 10% of the water in the recipe with milk.  And it worked!  Shortly thereafter I took the small number of lotions I had made to sell at a goat show at the fall fair.  Before I knew it, three ladies tried it, loved it, and bought all that I had brought.

Since that time I have tweaked the recipe slightly to give it more skin healing properties.  I have also started using a different (paraben free) preservative.  The lotion has been a great success at the Farmer's Market, and since last fall I have made over a hundred bottles of lotion (selling a great portion of those)!  Time to order more lotion bottles...

Now for a quick lotion making overview.

First, sterilize all your equipment with a bleach water (or you can use boiling water if you prefer).
Next, weigh out your ingredients.  You want to use precise measurements for the best results. 

Heat your oil mixture and water separately.  When all solids have melted in the oil mixture, add water and stir.  Blend until oils and water have emulsified.  Add fragrance and preservative (unless you would rather keep your lotion in the refrigerator) when lotion is cool enough.  Pour into bottles. 

And there you have it, all natural lotion, all great for your skin!
Right now I have a few different goat milk lotions available in varying sizes and quantities: Rose, Peppermint, Lavender, Hot Apple Pie, Geranium, Creamsicle, Vanilla Bean, Pink Grapefruit, and Lemongrass.    Peppermint and Rose lotion can be purchased online at my Etsy shop.  To order any of my other lotions, please contact me.

7 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your lotion process. I was curious, do you find you have a problem with the goat's milk making the lotion go bad? Do your customers keep the lotion in the fridge or room temp? I want to make goat's milk lotion but was advised that the milk can spoil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had a problem with the milk causing my lotion to spoil (although it can do that if you use too much milk and/or fail to preserve it). I use only a small amount of milk - 10% of the total amount of water called for in the recipe. Since I use a preservative I do not refrigerate the lotion, although I have one customer who wants to make sure that it lasts awhile that does. Suggested shelf life is 6 months, although I do have one bottle of lotion that is over a year old that still smells great!

      I have had issues with mold in a couple of batches of lotion in the past, but I believe that was sterilization, not milk, related. Hope this helps and answers your questions!

      Delete
  2. Emu oil also offers benefits for your skin in the area of anti-aging. It is helpful to skin rejuvenation, and it thickens the inner skin layers, which results in less wrinkling. donkeymilk face cream benefits

    ReplyDelete
  3. The issue you we included above is certainly regard proficient for anyone to work out. the possibility of your article is substantial and It will realize a positive way. cafe ha noi

    ReplyDelete
  4. On this page, you'll see my profile, please read this information. OrganicDonkey Milk Soap

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. MAGO Shiba

    ReplyDelete
  6. In fact, some of the carriers are now saying they anticipate that up to 50% of small groups with 10 or fewer employees are going to drop their health insurance plan sometime between 2014 and 2016. is bread bad for you

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top